Canadian English part 3

Just to finish up with the amazing differences between Canadian and American English I’ve been coming across lately, here’s a list of words they don’t understand in the USA:  hydro, loonie, pogey, pencil crayon, garburator, eavestrough, tap (meaning faucet), neo citran, obus form, duo tang.


9 thoughts on “Canadian English part 3

  1. The duo tang folders were a staple of my Catholic elementary school education. We put our prayer cards in them.

    My teacher kept saying “peachie” or “duo tang” in reference to these folders. It annoyed me to no end.

  2. “Tap” is certainly used in the US. “Garburator” is regional, but that region includes part of the US — it’s not just Canuckistan.

    Andrew, I’m guessing from your comment that duo tang folders are like Peec-hees, but I had the sense that duo tangs were more generic.

    FYI, Pee-Chees:

  3. ok tap, we definitely know. Just ask any American if they want some water from the tap. Or Tap water. Do you want bottled water or is tap ok? They will all understand.

    The rest of them look like Harry Potter spells except

    loonie as in crazy person?

  4. I got tap from an internet list and checked it myself. My plumber didn’t know what it was. But it’s nice to know that most Americans do. And that one small school uses duo tangs — cute! In fact, peachie! Duo tang is the stupidest name ever.

    The loonie is the one dollar coin. There’s no reason why you should know it, as you don’t have them and if you did they wouldn’t have pictures of loons on. This was one of a few items on my list that were a little too obvious, the others being hydro (meaning electricity service, but not for you since you don’t get your electricity from waterfalls) and pogey (which is unemployment insurance, and clearly regional slang).

    The others are all regular words for us though. For me, eavestrough was the most surprising.

  5. Oh, an eavestrough in America is called a downspout.

    if it didn’t so closely resemble eavesdrop as in the verb, I could’ve guessed it meant a downspout, because we still call the “gutters” eaves. Although, that term is a bit archaic.

  6. Tap definitely works here in the south as well.
    But I think it might be a midwesternish word.

    I love playing this game with Germans. (Austrian vs. German words: it works particularly well with food.)

  7. I’m not sure Sean, but I’m guessing what you call a downspout would be our drain pipe, and what we call an eavestrough would be your rain gutter.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s